Drupal’s Learning Curve

I just had to share this image.  To my mind it illustrates the Drupal learning curve, perfectly.

That about sums it up.

I’m not sure where the image comes from originally, but I found it posted by Arjun at: http://athousandnodes.com/article/drupal-learning-curve

UPDATE: Several people have suggested that this image originally came from the excellent webcomic XKCD.  According to the XKCD forum, this was never an XKCD comic.   See this post for more information.

Fixing Drush to work with Custom Drupal modules

drupal_clones

I’ve mentioned that I consider Drush to be an absolutely essential tool if you’re running more than one Drupal site.  However, I recently ran across an issue that took a little while to figure out.  First of all, the latest update to Firefox seems to have broken something in the FCKEditor module.  I may talk about that later, but it’s not the main point here.  The fix is to disable FCKEditor, and switch to the newer CKEditor.  Using Drush, that’s a simple matter of two commands

1
2
drush disable fckeditor
drush enable ckeditor

However, when trying to run Drush, I got the following error:

1
Drush command terminated abnormally due to an unrecoverable error.

That’s right, Drush wouldn’t even run.  It turns out that the problem was caused by a custom module that I had written for the site that does a redirect.  When Drush accessed the Drupal core, it was being redirected to a static page, which caused it to barf.  So, I needed to figure out a way to make sure the redirection doesn’t happen if the request is being made by Drush.  I tried for quite a while to use the Apache $SERVER global to check the request origination, but I just couldn’t figure out what the value should be to check for Drush.

What I finally settled on was checking for the existence of one of Drush’s methods.  Due to the way that php operates in Drupal, once a method (function) is defined, it’s essentially a global function (Drupal’s not object oriented, so there’s no real concept of access modifiers).  So simply making the following check fixed the issue:

1
2
3
4
5
if(function_exists('drush_main')){
  //don't redirect
}else{
  //redirect
}

Easy!